Tuesday, December 1, 2009


Having back surgery is so much fun but 4 in 5 years along with 4 hip surgeries has basically turned me into a hermit.

In 1985 when we moved to CA I never thought I would spend so little time here but, after my divorce in 1990 I went on the road traveling almost fulltime for my job. I have lived in so many places I can't remember them all. More motels, hotels and Residence Inns than anyone should ever endure. Short stays, a day or two or long stays nine week or more. My time in CA consisted of two weeks in the summer (if we didn't go to IRELAND) and two weeks at Christmas, hardly enough time to make friends or even an acquaintance or two.

My longest assignment was the most interesting and challenging. Moving every nine weeks was great, if you liked where you were you had some time to do some sightseeing, if not you would soon be gone. I found that every place I stayed had something worth seeing.

Then one day in CO I had a bad fall. Ruptured a disk in my back but didn't know it right away. Worked on until the pain as so bad that test were done and diagnosis made. One surgery, back to work and after the second one too. Number three didn't go well and work, either traveling or at home was now out of the question.

In the meantime, I had a hip replaced. Several months later while tying my shoes my old hip replacement dislocated and this stared a chain reaction of surgeries. First correction failed in the first few days. Found out on follow up visit. Second surgery was scheduled with same outcome. Waited a few months and had third surgery, newly designed part and two months in bed to make sure the bone had healed and it seems to be OK.

So I opened my mouth on New Years' eve and said, "no surgeries in 2009." Should have kept it shut. After two months of bed rest hours of therapy for my hip my back pain returned and got to the point that I couldn't function. So, back to the doctor and then another. Tried more therapy, a brace and more pills. So off to surgery I went. Now two months later things are coming along. Slow. I had in home therapy and now that it is completed I do my own exercises. I can walk a bit, sit for 20 minutes at a time and stand for five to ten minutes. The rest of the day is spent on my back. Yesterday I actually browned the meat and started the spaghetti sauce.

I am staying with my younger daughter and her family. She is a real Christmas fan and has decorated her house with her snowman collection. She has three trees. One for the family and one for each of her boys, twelve and twenty-one who each have a collection of ornaments given to them since they were born. She decoratedthe family tree last night (I directed) and it looks beautiful. The boys will do their own soon.

Soon I will be going home. My daughter, her husband and their 2 yr old son have had the house to themselves. for quite awhile. It will be fun reading, singing and watching Sean play again. I have missed them all very much. It will be nice to try and help with the cooking again which use to be a passion of mine.

I will also be good to see my neighbors. I do have a few that stop by. We have only lived in our house for four years. I also need to get out and get involved in something to make some new friends. There is a senior center close by and plan to try there first.

In the meantime I spend a lot of time on twitter, helping with the fight to get Health Reform passed. I have found a place that allows me to speak my mind and communicate with people who feel the same way I do about this any several other major issues facing us today.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Linda. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I hope the latest surgery continues to help. Being in chronic pain is the worst, and I really admire you for keeping your head up through it all.

    ReplyDelete